Sunday, January 23, 2011

Gluten free bread: it's a sensitve topic

You may know that the issue of "bread" is an emotional one for those of us who cannot consume gluten. Gluten is the stuff that gives bread that lovely crusty-yet-elastic texture you love. Gluten free bead is at best muffin-like, and at worst sandy. I'm getting misty thinking about it now.

Grocery stores offer better and better GF bread that toasts up almost as well as traditional bread (in my opinion, Udi's makes it the best, in my hometown of Denver Colorado!). But, the stuff can be expensive. Even mixes are $4-$5 each, which is more than a baked loaf! My inner frugal girl decided to conquer the bread...

Here I've reviewed and adapted the Gluten Free Goddess' Delicious Gluten-Free Bread Recipe. I've made two loaves so far, and while they weren't quite as springy and airy as Udi's, they were still pretty darned good. I'd give it a B+. I revised the recipe a bit to include some cheaper ingredients. And, it can be made vegan.


Behold! This came out of my kitchen! This is the first loaf. I got it even better the second time 'round. (P.S. thanks to my darling friends who sent me this "Betty Rocker" tea towel!)

This was somewhat labor intensive, but extremely satisfying. Now that I know the process, I might pick up a few more loaf pans and make several at once to freeze! I need to do a cost analysis to see if this one is cheaper to make than the $4-$5 loafs cost us at the store.


Here is my adaptation of the Gluten Free Goddess' Delicious Gluten-Free Bread Recipe.
Her version includes a bread machine option, which is nice if you have that appliance. The following is sans machine. Please note, my Colorado pals, this recipe is optimized for lower elevations, but I've made a few high elevation notes.

In a small bowl, combine:
  • 1 packet rapid dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons
    1 1/4 cup warm water at 110 to 115 degrees F. (I did 1 c cold tap water and 1/4 c boiled)
  • 1 tsp honey or agave nectar
Allow this mixture to get "poofy", around 3 or 4 minutes. If it doesn't get poofy you have inactive yeast! Stop here and get some fresh yeast to start over.


In a separate, large bowl, whisk together these dry ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour blend (often found at Costco) (or 1 cup sorghum flour and 1/2 cup millet flour)
  • 1 cup potato starch (not potato flour!) or corn starch (which is cheaper)
  • 2 teaspoons xantham gum
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons fine sea salt

Pour the yeast mixture into your dry mixture and mix by hand. Then stir in:
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 more tablespoon honey or raw agave nectar 
  • 1/2 teaspoon mild rice vineger or white wine cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
  • 1 tablespoon Ener-G Egg Replacer whisked with 4 tablespoons warm water till frothy, OR 2 Tbs flax meal soaked in 4 Tbs warm water for 5 minutes OR one real egg with two egg whites. I did flax meal. *Note: High elevations try reducing the amount of egg/egg replacer by half.*
Beat until a smooth batter forms. I use the word batter because gluten-free bread dough is more like thick muffin batter than wheat based bread dough -- it is not as thin as cake batter, though. I found that whipping it really made a difference to the airiness the second time I made the recipe.

Scrape the dough into a ceramic or glass loaf pan (or use a 7 to 8-inch round cake pan for rustic ciabatta style bread) and smooth the top evenly, using wet fingers. Top with sesame seeds (optional).


Place the pan in a warmed oven or draft free spot with a cloth draped on it. I set mine on top of a  recently used toaster oven. Allow the dough to rise until it domes nicely -- from 45 to 50 minutes. 

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. 


When the oven comes to temperature bake the risen bread until it sounds hollow when thumped -- about 45 minutes to 55 minutes, and even up to 65 minutes if you're at higher altitude. Lower style round pan loaves will bake quicker -- at 30 to 40 minutes, usually.

Cool on a wire rack. Wait about 10 minutes or more until you can comfortably handle the loaf. Run a spatula along the side walls before turning over. 



After it's cool, keep the loaf wrapped in two plastic vegetable bags in the fridge. It will last up to 4 days (if you don't gobble it up!)


Has anyone else mastered the home made gluten free bread dilemma? Let me know!


Kiss Kiss! Tsyom Tsyom!

No comments:

Post a Comment